In my last blog post, I shared a few interesting drinks that will help you sleep better. Going forward with the flow you must also take care of the food you eat for dinner.
First, take care to have dinner at least an hour or two, before dinner.
This will help your digestive system to get some rest when you sleep. Your digestive system will be busy if you have food just before sleep. And you will end up having disturbed sleep and a bad day when you wake up.
I am sharing with you, best foods to help you sleep. These are usually available in our homes.
Usually, white rice is not considered to be a healthy option for food. People who are obese or are at risk for diabetes should avoid having it. But as white rice is low on fiber, it is easy to digest and allows the digestive system to rest. Hence it is good for sleep. Considering that it lacks on fibers and nutrients, it should be moderately consumed.
For cooking white rice, you need.
- 1 cup white rice
- 4 cups of water
Wash the rice properly. Put rice and water in a cooking pot and cook it till the rice is soft. Then strain the rice.
You can have this cooked rice in different ways.
- Have it hot with a gravy side dish
- Leave it to cool till it is warm. Take a cup of cooked rice, add a cup of water, pinch of salt, and lemon juice. This makes you feel hydrated and relaxes you and makes you feel sleepy. Have it like soup with a side dish. This is very good to have when you are feeling dehydrated or if you are recovering from illness.
By the way, you can retain the strained water. You can cool this water and apply it on your hair and skin. It considerably improves your skin complexion and hair texture.
If you have had dinner a couple of hours back and you are feeling like munching something before going to bed, having bananas is one of the best choices. Bananas are rich in potassium and magnesium, which relax your muscles and help you to sleep. Bananas also help in producing serotonin which helps in triggering sleep.
You can have bananas just as is, else here are some quick recipes which you can try.
- Banana tea: If you want the tea naturally sweet, use whole banana, else use a banana peel. Boil it with water and a cinnamon stick for a cup of tea.
- Banana smoothie: Blend banana, a pinch of nutmeg powder and milk to make a smoothie. Use lukewarm milk as its best for sleep.
Fatty fish, such as salmon, tuna is very healthy.
They are a great source of vitamin D and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which have properties that help to improve your sleep. They also help in reducing inflammation. Omega-3 fatty acids also help us to fight against heart disease and boost brain health.
There are in-numerous recipes of fatty fish available. But as I am suggesting you have fatty fish for dinner, it is good if you have it with subtle spices.
Here are a few ways:
- Fish fry: Wash the fish pieces thoroughly in water and marinate it with lemon juice for 10 mins. Then wash it again. Now, marinate it with salt and black pepper powder for half an hour. Take a small cup of milk and beat an egg white into it. Dip the fish pieces with this mix and shallow fry the fish pieces with very little oil. Fish releases its fat, so you do not require to use much oil to fry. Have these fries hot and crispy.
- Fish curry: You can make a gravy of your choice and dip the fried fish pieces. Have it with bread or cooked rice.
These recipes use either milk or rice which are also good in improving your sleep.
Walnuts and almonds
Almonds with their other numerous benefits help in sleep also. As they are a source of the sleep-regulating hormone melatonin and are rich in magnesium which improves sleep quality.
Walnuts are also rich in magnesium and are a rich source of melatonin.
Eating a handful of walnuts and almonds before bed will help make your sleep better.
Poppy seeds (Khuskhus)
Poppy seeds also known as khuskhus is obtained from the opium plant and have culinary uses. Poppy seeds are effective in inducing sleep. They calm your mind and body and help in bringing down the stress levels. They can be consumed in the form of a tea or made into a paste and mixed with warm milk to enjoy a blessed slumber.
Poppy seeds porridge:
- 2 pinch cardamom powder
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup of milk
- 3/4 tsp poppy seed
Soak poppy seeds for 2 hours. Ground the poppy seeds into a paste. Add to a small saucepan with a cup of milk. Boil for twenty minutes. Add honey and cardamom nutmeg powder. Mix well and serve.
You can add poppy seeds paste to the gravy and add vegetables or fried fish and make a delicious curry. Have it with white rice for a good sleep.
These are best foods to help you sleep. Hope these foods help you sleep better. Here is how you can get some good food for your mind as well.
Have a good night and have a good day 🙂