French toast is normally sweet and is a common breakfast dish. But sometimes we do not want to have a sweet breakfast.
So here I am with an extremely easy French toast recipe which is salty!!!
I am not making it with the regular thick batter and crunchy way. Rather this recipe is very simple and makes a soft and fluffy salty French toast without eggs. The taste is very subtle and hence can be topped with any topping of your choice. But I love it just as is, piping hot! It serves well for kids’ snacks boxes for school as well. So here is the recipe for you.
- Bread – 5 slices
- Salt – 1/2 tsp.
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salted Butter – 5 tsp.
- Milk – 1 cup
Note: You can use any bread such as brown bread, multi-grain bread, or white bread.
If you desire, you can substitute margarine or ghee (clarified butter) for the salted butter. You can use regular milk, soy milk, or almond milk.
- Take a medium-sized bowl.
- Add salt and pepper powder in this mixing bowl.
- Then, add 1 cup milk into this bowl.
- Now, mix all these ingredients.
- Take a non-stick pan and add about ½ tsp. of butter.
- Now, take a bread slice and dip it in this mixture. Let the bread properly absorb the mixture. If you cannot successfully dip the bread in the mixture, then you can also brush the mixture over the bread slice.
- Take the bread slice out from the batter mixture.
- Now place this dipped bread on the heated pan.
- Keep the pan on medium flame and toast the bread.
- When one side of the French toast is toasted, flip it with the help of a spatula and cook the other side.
- Take it out when you can see it turning to golden color.
- Continue the same process for other slices. (or as much as you need)
And your fluffy and piping hot French toast is ready! Serve it Hot.
You can turn it into a soft and fluffy open sandwich by adding a topping of your choice. Here are a few toppings which I like:
- Top it with a cheese slice when it is fuming hot and sprinkle little oregano and chili flakes.
- Mix boiled corn with a little salt, grated cheese, finely cut onion, and cucumber. Spread a spoonful of this mixture on top of the toast.
- If you like egg, you can top it with an omelet, a poached egg, or a sliced boiled egg as well.
- If you want it rich, top it with a cheese slice and a hot veggie or meat cutlet.
This serves as a quick, easy, and healthy breakfast, especially on lazy weekend mornings.