Had dinner a couple of hours before sleep?
You feel a little hungry and want to drink or munch something.
Usually, you would opt for a hot cup of cocoa or coffee or munch chocolate or have cuppa noodles. These food items though tasty, will disturb your sleep.
Instead, I suggest you try these drinks which are not only good for your taste buds but also good for your sleep and health.
Here are 3 easy to make drinks that help you sleep better.
These drinks use ingredients that are usually available in our homes.
This is my best choice and has so many other health benefits.
Warm milk itself makes you sleep better. If you add antioxidants like turmeric which has anti-inflammatory effects, then even better. Golden milk is very easy to make and uses ingredients usually available at home.
For 1 cup of golden milk use the below ingredients:
- 1/2 cup of milk/soy milk/almond milk
- 1 tsp of turmeric
- 1/2-inch piece of grated fresh ginger
- 1 small cinnamon crushed
- 1 pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 tsp of honey or jaggery(optional)
Mix all ingredients in a pot and bring it to a boil. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Strain the drink through a fine strainer. Drink it warm.
Golden milk is a delicious drink loaded with antioxidants that may provide an array of health benefits, ranging from a healthier brain and heart to stronger bones, improved digestion, and a lower risk of disease.
To reap the most health benefits, use milk with both calcium and vitamin D, and limit the amount of honey or syrup you add to your drink.
- Turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger all are antioxidants and lower the risk of infections.
- Turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger help to reduce inflammation, and help you fight bacterial, viral, and fungal infections.
- Turmeric contains curcumin, which increases levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF). BDNF is a compound that helps your brain form new connections and helps in the growth of brain cells.
- Turmeric, cinnamon, and ginger help lower the risk of heart disease. Cinnamon reduces cholesterol and triglyceride. Curcumin, which is in turmeric, improves the function of your blood vessel linings.
- Ginger and cinnamon lower blood sugar levels.
- And of course, milk is rich in calcium and vitamin D which are good for your bones.
Cherries are available in different types and tastes. While the sweet cherries juice tastes the best, the tart ones are best for sleep as they produce the highest percentage of melatonin, the sleep hormone.
The ingredients required for a glass of juice are,
- About 15 tart cherries
- 1 glass of water
- 1 teaspoon honey
Blend all the ingredients. Strain the drink, and have it before sleep.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice for a tangy taste.
- Add lavender and chamomile while blending, for even better sleep.
If you are making it as a sleep drink, it is better not to add sugar. Else, you can add sugar and ice.
- Tart cherries are high in melatonin, and help you have a sound sleep.
- Tart cherries are antioxidants and anti-inflammatory as well,
- They are found to be effective in treating insomnia as well.
Almonds are also known to be high in magnesium and melatonin and thus help in getting better sleep.
Almond milk is a good alternative to cow milk as well.
To make a glass almond milk, you need,
- 10 almonds
- Pinch of salt
- Glass of water
- Few strands of saffron
Soak the almonds overnight. Blend the almonds with a pinch of salt and water. Put this mix in a thin cloth, and squeeze out the milk. Top it with the saffron strands, and let it soak for 10 mins. Stir the drink to mix the saffron extract. And your almond milk is ready!!!
- You can add cherries while blending, to make a super-effective sleep drink.
- After squeezing out the milk, blend it with a banana and a teaspoon of honey. Banana is also high on magnesium and helps you sleep.
- Just add a few drops of vanilla essence instead of saffron to give a subtle flavor.
- Almonds have a lot of magnesium and Vitamin E. They help you sleep better.
- They lower blood pressure levels and cholesterol.
- Almonds lower blood sugar levels also.
I hope these drinks help you have a good sleep.
In my next post, I have thrown some light on food that helps you sleep better.
Have a good night and sleep tight. 🙂