When it comes to taking care of yourself, nails normally get overlooked.
Before we start instructing you about nail art, let us pay some attention to the nails and keep them healthy and strong.
Here are some basic nail care tips that you should do to improve the appearance of your nails:
- Keep fingernails dry and clean. Avoid too much exposure to water. If you are handling any strong chemical stuff wear gloves.
- Practice good nail hygiene. Do proper manicure. Use a good nail file.
- Use moisturizer. Apply the moisturizer properly on nails and cuticles too.
- Apply a protective layer. Applying a nail hardener helps strengthen nails.
- If you are going to a salon for manicure or pedicure, ensure they are licensed and authorized. They should be using sterilized tools and healthy products.
- Consult a doctor if you see any issues, like changes in nail color, thickening or thinning of nails, or change in the shape of nails. Some research suggests that the nutritional supplement biotin might help strengthen weak or brittle fingernails.
Here are a few things that you should avoid doing:
- Do not bite fingernails. It may cause infection.
- Don’t have your cuticles removed. They seal the skin to the nail plate, so removal can lead to nail infection.
- Do not harsh nail care products. Limit your use of nail polish remover. When using nail polish remover, opt for an acetone-free formula.
- Don’t ignore problems. If you have a nail problem that does not seem to go away on its own or is associated with other signs and symptoms, you should consult your doctor or dermatologist for an evaluation.
Before applying nail polish:
- Ensure your nails are moisturized.
- Apply a good base coat.
Now your nails are ready for some art on them!!!