The famous quote “Stressed spelled backward is Desserts “, is so true, especially for people who have a sweet tooth like me.
So here I am with a very easy and simple recipe for the most famous dessert, cakes, and muffins.
But this is a very common recipe, then why am I presenting it here again?
I am going to show you how you can create variations with different flavors by changing just a couple of ingredients. There are some ingredients that form the base batter and the rest are added for flavor.
Let’s have a look at the ingredients and the process to make a plain egg-less vanilla cake or muffins first.
1 ¼ cup – All-purpose flour
½ cup – Powdered sugar
1 cup – Milk
3 tablespoons – melted unsalted butter (Cooking butter)
1 teaspoon – Baking powder
½ teaspoon – Baking soda
1 tsp – Vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour an 8×8 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners. Point to note the pan can be of slightly different dimensions and of different shapes as well as shown below. You can also use silicone muffin molds or aluminum muffin cups also as shown below.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and powdered sugar and sieve it together to a medium bowl. Add vanilla essence, milk, and butter to it. Stir it little to mix the ingredients and then beat it for 5 minutes until the batter is smooth. Remember to beat it in one direction. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. The cake is done when it springs back to the touch. You can also check by inserting a knife or a straw and ensure it comes out smooth. Cool for 20 mins and your cake is ready!!!
Now let us see how we can make the same simple cake or muffin interesting by adding small variations while following the same directions.
- Orange flavor: Use fresh 1 cup fresh orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange rinds instead of milk and vanilla essence.
- Chocolate flavor: Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder while sieving with flour.
- Strawberry flavor: Use ¾ cup milk instead of 1 cup. Make a paste of 100 grams strawberries. Add it to the batter.
- Apple flavor: Use ¾ cup milk instead of 1 cup. Peel 1 apple and remove the seeds. Grate it and add it to the batter.
- Banana walnut flavor: Use ¾ cup milk instead of 1 cup. Make a pulp of 1 banana and add 100 grams walnut to the batter.
- Choco coffee orange flavor: Add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder and 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder while sieving with flour. Use fresh 1 cup fresh orange juice and 1 teaspoon orange rinds instead of milk and vanilla essence. This is my favorite 🙂
You can also add 50 grams of raisins, cashews or almonds in the above variations, to make the cake or muffins crunchy.
Try these variations and surprise your family!!!
Happy baking 🙂